Types of Crocodiles
Crocodile Species Index
- Crocodile Species There are 23 different crocodile species that have been identified. They are found all over the world – in both salt water and fresh water.
- American Alligator American Alligators are very large reptiles with the males being about 14 feet long. The females are quite a bit smaller at about 10 feet in length. Some of them have been documented as growing even larger than that.
- Nile Crocodile Many people are impressed with the coloring of the Nile Crocodile which is an olive green. There are also plenty of spots on it that are dark black in color.
- Saltwater Crocodile The Saltwater Crocodile is the biggest of all the reptiles out there. When you consider how large some of them are, this is a remarkable status to have.
- American Crocodile The American Crocodile is the one that most people are familiar with. This is the type of crocodile that is usually portrayed in pictures for books and advertising.
- Black Caiman As the name indicates, the Black Caiman is a dark color. This can range from a very dark gray and cover various shades of black. It is a scary looking creature to many people and is often coined as evil due to the red eyes.
- Cuban Crocodile The brighter colors that the Cuban Crocodile features gains it plenty of attention. They have scales with a different appearance too – like it has small pebbles in it.
- Gharial One of the distinguishing characteristics of the Gharial is that it has a long and thin snout. They have very tiny teeth with more than 100 of them in that limited amount of space.